Looking for a new job is never easy and in today’s competitive market, you will undoubtedly have been faced with at least one (if not more) ‘no’. It’s what you do next that matters though.
Don’t let that ‘no’ knock your confidence. Just because you weren’t the best person for one job, it doesn’t mean that you won’t get the next one. The important thing is to stay motivated in your search for the perfect job.
- Put it into context – was this really the perfect job for you?
- Stay positive. Optimism is key to motivation, and this understandably does not come naturally to everyone. But try to keep a ‘glass half full’ attitude and believe that the perfect job is just around the corner. If you give up, then you’ll never find it.
- Don’t make excuses. Ask for honest feedback on your interview and assess your performance objectively based on these comments. Make note of areas that you can improve in the future.
- Brand yourself. In today’s age of social media, employers can and will find out a variety of information about you online. It is therefore important to create a personal brand via twitter, LinkedIn etc., and make sure that your privacy settings ensure that any embarrassing photos are not viewable by the general public.
- Exercise. It gives you a boost of adrenaline and endorphins (happy hormones) that make you feel energised and positive. It’s also a great way to relieve stress and keep fit.
- And remember, success only feels so good because we’ve faced rejection in the past. We need the bad to put the good into context.
If you have any tips for keeping motivated during a job search, then let us know!